Thursday, October 15, 2015

Letter Project Reflection

1.  For the Letter Project, the very first step after being assigned a letter was the brainstorming process.  I was assigned the letter "C" and I came up with a list of words and concepts that relate to the letter "C". 

 
 Off the back one of the first things I thought of was Captain Hook since lately I've been into the show Once Upon A Time.  Another thing that instantly came to my mind was a wave because when it crashes down it forms the shape of a "C".  For my Letter Project I knew that I wanted to focus on things that took the shape of the letter "C" naturally instead of focusing on a concept like the city and then just putting that into a "C" shape.   After my brainstorming I decided to draft most of the ideas I came up with instead of just re-doing one concept many different ways.  I decided to draw out most of my ideas because I wasn't sure which one I wanted to do the most so I was experimenting with all the things I came up with in my list.

  
I tried to draw out all of the ideas that I had come up with but the only idea that I had re-drawn multiple times was the hook.  I was really drawn to that idea from the start and it eventually became my favorite so I wanted to make sure that I put more time into drafting that idea as well as experimenting with the different ways I could go about incorporating it into my letter project.  The peer feedback I received did help me because my peers encouraged my idea with captain hook and they even gave me advice on how I can make the letter "C" stand out more.


  They really helped me expand my original idea because at first I just wanted to have the hook in my picture but they gave me the idea to incorporate Captain Hook himself which is something I hadn't thought of.  With the new idea and the encouragement of my old one I decided to draw both ideas in my larger thumbnails.

 
2.  In the thumbnail on the right, I drew my original idea I had since he beginning.  One of the major issues that I ran into with the hook design was the size of the base and the shape of the hook itself.  I realized later on that I should of made the base of the handle a lot smaller than the hook itself in order to make the letter "C" the focus.  The shape of the hook itself looked more like a question mark instead of a "C'.  I realized that a hook looks more like a "C" when it is tilted to the side more.  With these reasons in mind, I appealed more to my second design on the right with Captain Hook in it.  I decided to have that be my final design.
 
 
That is me final draft.  There were many changes I made between the thumbnail and my final draft.  One of the changes was the size of the hook.  I made it extremely large so that the "C" is the center of attention and it is very clear to see.  Another thing I did to make the "C" stand out was making the base of the hook a lighter color than the actual hook that makes up the shape of the "C".  I also changed the background from the beach to Neverland.  I thought it would be a more appropriate setting.  I made the hook itself black to make it stand out which is another reason why I made the background colors very light.  My concept was Captain Hook and the letter "C" stands for Captain and it is represented in his hook.  Overall I was proud of my work and I feel like my concept is clearly represented in my design.
 
3.  The most challenging aspects of the project was making sure that the hook was the center of attention and that it accurately depicted the letter "C".  I was nervous that the hook didn't stand out very much against the background which is why I tried really hard to have a big contrast between light and dark colors when it came to the hook and background.  Another challenge was the handle of the hook since it isn't apart of the "C" I thought it would confuse the letter.  I tried to make the handle of the hook lighter so that the "C" would stand out even more.
 
4.  After putting in a lot of effort and time into my final, I am proud of the outcome.  I feel like I successfully make the "C" stand out against the background.  I also feel that I successfully incorporated the Captain Hook concept and theme into my project.  I think overall it makes the letter "C" fit in.
 
5.  If I could change anything about my design I would change the background and maybe put more detail into it because I fell like it is very plain.  I would add in little details like trees to the background or I would make the water look more realistic just to help the overall project look nicer. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment